Expressions of Interest in the Position of UNRISD Board Chairperson
3 May 2021
We are now accepting expressions of interest in the position of UNRISD Board Chairperson.
Deadline 23 May 2021
The United Nations Research Institute for Social Development (UNRISD) is an autonomous research institute within the UN system that undertakes interdisciplinary research and policy analysis on the social dimensions of contemporary development issues.
To commence responsibilities in July 2021, we are seeking applications for a new Chairperson of the UNRISD Board. This person will be a recognized leader in a field of relevance to UNRISD’s research programmes, aware of UNRISD’s previous research contributions, and with demonstrated values and reputation aligned with our mandate and mission.
In addition to being a member of the Board, the Chairperson is responsible for overseeing and coordinating the advice, guidance and instructions from the UNRISD Board to the Institute.
The Board has the following functions:
The Board meets once a year in Geneva for two days, usually in March or April. UNRISD covers the costs of travel to and subsistence in Geneva. The position, for an initial term of four years, is not remunerated. The Board Chair appointment is made by the United Nations Secretary-General.
To express your interest in being considered for the position of UNRISD Board Chairperson, please send a covering letter and curriculum vitae to email@example.com by Sunday 23 May 23:59 CEST, with the subject heading “Board Chair application”.
Only candidates whose expressions of interest are under consideration will be contacted.
Applications from women from the global South are particularly encouraged.
- To lay down general rules governing the action of the Institute in matters entrusted to it.
- To review and approve work programmes and the relevant budgets.
- To advise on the academic quality and integrity of the research and publications.
- To oversee the relevance of UNRISD work to the United Nations system and the international community.
- To oversee the appropriate use of resources and financial accountability.
- To advise on fundraising.
- To submit to the UN Commission for Social Development, biennially, a progress report on the work of the Institute.