Back | Programme Area: Social Dimensions of Sustainable Development
Building Resilience for All: Poverty Reduction, Equity and Inclusion in Climate Change Adaptation
Date: 13 Sep 2019
- Time: 09.00 - 17.00
- Location: Palais des Nations, Geneva, Switzerland
- Counterpart(s): ODI, UNDP Poverty-Environment Action, UN Environment, BRACED, Chronic Poverty Advisory Network
This Expert Group Meeting was held to discuss how to influence the implementation of climate-related programmes under international policy frameworks (Paris Agreement, Sustainable Development Goals, Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction), and to ensure no one is left behind in the face of a changing climate. The meeting outcomes informed events and interventions by the organizers during the United Nations Climate Summit held on 23 September 2019 in New York.
Session 1: Building inclusive climate resilience in a changing climate
Session leads: Vidya Diwakar and Emma Lovell, ODI
- How can we better understand chronic poverty and the coping strategies of poor households in the context of a changing climate?
- How can we build intersectional approaches for reducing vulnerability and building resilience to natural hazards and climate change in policy and practice?
Session 2: Building resilience and adaptation through climate finance
Session leads: Neil Bird and Adriana Quevedo, ODI
- How can we better mobilize and deliver climate finance in an equitable and effective way through national and sub-national climate fund mechanisms?
- The emergence of climate funds over the last ten years, at international, national, and sub-national levels, has established new funding channels that offer the potential of addressing the needs of disadvantaged groups. How far has this potential synergy been secured?
Session 3: Achieving coherence across Agenda 2030 to ensure no one is left behind
Session lead: Rhea Katsanakis, UNDRR
- Accelerating coherence in the implementation of the Paris Climate Agreement to include mitigation strategies (green economies) and Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction in the context of the Sustainable Development Goals –to ensure no one is left behind.
- Alain Doricyusa, National Climate Fund Rwanda (FONERWA) (Rwanda)
- Christophe Belperron, Save the Children (France)
- Jean Pascal Correa, ENDA Energie (Senegal)
- Rhea Katsanakis, UNDRR (Greece/Germany)
- Dave Wilson, ITAD (UK)
- Emma Lovell, ODI (UK)
- Vidya Diwakar, Chronic Poverty Advisory Network, ODI (India)
- Adriana Quevedo, ODI (Spain; originally from Guatemala)
- Neil Bird, ODI (UK)
- Youba Sokona, South Centre (Mali)
- Vicente Yu, South Centre (Philippines)
- Paul Ladd, UNRISD (UK)
- Dunja Krause, UNRISD (Germany)
- Feisal Rahman, International Centre for Climate Change and Development (Bangladesh)
- Isabell Kempf, UNEP Nairobi (Germany)
- Ireen Fwalanga, Ministry of Finance Zambia (Zambia)
- Muhammad Didi Hardiana, UNDP Indonesia (Indonesia)
- Tahmina Karimova, ILO (Tajikistan)
- Rolf Trager, UNCTAD Brazil (Germany)
- Moira Faul (afternoon only), Geneva School of Economics and Management (Zimbabwe)
- Robert Smith (afternoon only), OCHA (US)